World In Sign, LLC is currently seeking certified and qualified freelance American Sign Language interpreters to provide interpreting services remotely and on-site. Frequent requests to report to the Silver Spring corporate office may be needed for internal meetings and client visits.
The interpreter must be adaptable, flexible, detail oriented, and have the proven ability to handle confidential information appropriately. Strong interpersonal and outstanding customer service skills are required. The ability to communicate effectively and work collaboratively with team members, external customers, and leadership are also required. Compensation is based on level and experience.
The interpreter will work in various context via VRI (on our own platform or any video platform chosen by customer).
Responsibilities and Duties
- To provide high quality interpretation using American Sign Language and English (spoken and written).
- Fluent in ASL, spoken and written English
- Effectively interpret between ASL and English
- National Certification required
- Master’s degree preferred but not required
- Provide interpreting services between American Sign Language users and English language users in a variety of settings and topics.
- Adhere to the NAD & RID Professional Code of Conduct.
- Provide outstanding customer service to both internal and external customers.
- Working knowledge of the Americans with Disabilities Act and how it pertains to the Deaf community.
- Reviews and research professional literature, journals, etc. and attends conferences, and workshops to maintain certification and stay current on best practices.
- Ability to collaborate in a professional manner with team.
- Work effectively with minimal supervision.
- Seek manager support for difficult interpreting situations.
- Complete required paperwork in a timely fashion.
- Contribute to a supportive work environment with positive and creative participation.
- Comply with policies and procedures as outlined by World In Sign
- Ensure World In Sign’s Mission, Vision, and Values are represented in all interactions.
Education, experience, technology and skills
- RID Certification required.
- Bachelor’s degree in American Sign Language-English Interpretation or related field is preferred.
- A minimum of 2 years of American Sign Language interpretation preferred.
- Proficiency in basic computer and technology skills, including Microsoft Office Suite of products required.
- Must have a computer with webcam and microphone able to process virtual meetings (on Zoom, Teams, or other software) via the internet. Neutral background available.
- Working knowledge of other languages is a plus but not required.
- Reliable transportation for any on-site interpreting.
- Part-time, contract – up to 25 hours per week